Reporting to the Board of Directors, the executive director works with the board and staff to ensure the mission is fulfilled through strategic planning, operational effectiveness, fiscal management, and programmatic oversight. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Leadership and Board Governance Responsibilities
- Works effectively in partnership with the Board of Directors to provide all information necessary for the proper functioning of the Board; assists with recruitment and with on-boarding new Directors.
- Represents the organization at community activities, such as attending the Children’s Cabinet meetings, and other state and local coalitions.
- Motivates volunteer committees, including the Provider Advisory Council, to actively engage and support overall fidelity to the program
- Ensures the program consistently and successfully contributes to the organization’s mission.
Community Relations and Advocacy
- Communicates with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with community groups, funders, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization.
- Develops PR / marketing activities to enhance the organization’s community profile.
Financial Planning, Fund-Raising and Management
- Works with the Board and staff to secure funding to support the organization’s mission.
- Oversees the development of a comprehensive fund-raising plan that includes cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities.
- Responsible for fiscal management that anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintains a positive financial position.
- Manages an annual celebration and fundraising event, including recruiting event committee members, acknowledging and honoring community leaders, and meeting revenue goals.
- Maintains working relationship with National Reach Out and Read Center leadership
Requirements / Qualifications
- Five or more years of senior nonprofit management experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Proven success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- History of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in use of personal computers (database management, spreadsheets, word processing, presentation, and MS Office).
- Experience and knowledge of managing finances, budgeting planning and execution.
- Commitment to sustaining a workplace culture that values Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Work Schedule: 20-25 hours per week. Primarily M – F during business hours but with flexibility. Some evenings and weekends may be required for special events.
Physical Requirements: Carrying, Driving, Lifting up to 25 pounds, Pulling, Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Standing, Walking, Writing
Equal Opportunity Employer Reach Out and Read Rhode Island is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Aimee Falso at email@example.com.