Community Engagement Specialist
Job Title: Community Engagement Specialist
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: 20 hours/week, hybrid, flexible schedule
This role will manage all aspects of community engagement activities including community and school-based literacy events, special projects with corporate volunteers, annual fundraiser, parent focus groups, Provider Appreciation events, and our Read & Romp annual family literacy event. This position will also share the ‘site support’ responsibilities to ensure sites receive books in a timely and efficient manner.
Community Engagement Responsibilities (50% time)
• Seek out and attend community events to promote Reach Out and Read RI specifically in target neighborhoods and at our partnering sites
• Provide leadership in the planning and execution of RORRI specific events including annual fundraiser, Provider Appreciation event, and Read & Romp Family Literacy event.
• Maintain stock of materials including books, promotional materials, and ‘giveaways’
• Develop event planning timelines to ensure all duties are fulfilled and coordinate staff and volunteer responsibilities for successful execution of events
• Work with Executive Director to develop and manage budgets for events
• Develop and build relationships with volunteers and event committee members through emails, and in-person and virtual meetings
• Gather and report data on event attendance and impact, and make informed suggestions
Site Support Responsibilities (50% time)
• Receive book orders at office including unpacking pallets and carrying in boxes of books
• Sort, sticker and shelve books at office
• Prepare book orders at RORRI office and deliver to pediatric sites throughout state
• Pull books from shelves and box, label, and load into RORRI van/personal vehicle to deliver
• Unload books at sites and help clinic staff maintain and stock/shelve new books in designated storage locations, when necessary.
Perform other duties as needed including assisting with site support activities and other administrative tasks.
• Experience in the community outreach and event planning field;
• Must be a licensed driver and be able to travel with use of a personal car;
• Daytime, evening, and weekend availability required to attend events and deliver books to sites
• Must possess the ability to speak effectively before groups and actively engage with the public;
• Outstanding written communication and presentation skills;
• Ability to interact positively and effectively in a culturally diverse setting
• Excellent organizational skills, detail-orientated with the ability to manage multiple projects at a time;
• Self-motivated, positive attitude, enthusiastic, and community-driven;
• Bilingual Spanish preferred
• Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds
• Must be comfortable using hand truck to move cases of books between office, vehicle and pediatric sites
• Comfortable with a basic level of technology: Outlook, Word products, and cloud-based database and storage
• Reliable; able to show up on time consistently and honor all scheduled appointments and commitments
Pay and benefits
• Flexible schedule
• Holiday and vacation time
• Mileage reimbursement
Carrying, Driving, Lifting up to 50 pounds, Pulling, Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Standing, Walking, Writing
Equal Opportunity Employer
Reach Out and Read Rhode Island is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Aimee Falso at firstname.lastname@example.org.